Support class request for Monday 16th January

Please paste your Indian street child or Indian woman vignette to this post as a comment so that we can scroll through all of them on Wednesday. Remember to give it a title.

11 Comments

1. sejin park says:

Poor two Indian brothers who try to survive
    Starving and being scared, I’m looking for something to eat or sell in the piles of trash. The number of my family’s members was six, but now it is just two; I and my younger brother. Starving and suffering from diseases, my brother, sister and my parents passed away in last year and me and my brother was left with nothing but sadness. In here, Delhi, there are a lot of people who lost family like me.
    My brother, who’s just 6 years old, is the smallest among his age I’ve ever seen. I always try to feed him but there aren’t many things I can do. One way to get some food is to rummage pile of trash. Sometimes, I can find something valuable for me like a pen, a coin, unwrapped product etc. The other way to find food or earn money is to beg on the street. I’m happy when foreigners give me some money. From this way, the problem is that the horning sound from strange-looking giant trumpets really hurt my ears and my brother’s ears. When I’m looking into the window to beg some money, I usually see some princes and princesses seating back of the car and licking some sweets. This view makes me feel sympathy to myself. From these ways, I can earn about 50 rupees a week.
    Soon, it will be winter and every day is going to be the most painful day. Remembering last winter, it makes me feel cold even in spring or summer. Anyway, I’ll always stay strong and be brave with my brother and I won’t lose hope forever.

2. Minami says:

January 11, 2012
    Dear diary,
    It was very cold today. When I woke up, the streets were covered in fog and I could not get out of my blanket because it was freezing out there. I wrapped myself in a big blanket and had a bowl of watery daal for breakfast. I ran out to the road piggybacking my sister with my two little brothers. There were many people in the car who were apparently commuting. I saw a girl of my age with two white strings hanging from her ears through her car window. The weird strings were connected to a shiny phone. I could not help staring at the techy stuff. She looked at me as if I was a rat. ¬¬¬¬¬Then, I found myself pressing my face against the window. I was so embarrassed and ¬I ran to the sidewalk as the traffic light turned green.
    It got warmer and warmer as the fog dispersed. We had lunch under the flyover as usual. I gave my lunch to my little brothers because they looked so hungry. After lunch, we played tag where we had lunch. It was so much fun. My belly was growling and demanding for something to eat, though. Then my little brothers went out to the road, hoping to get something from the commuters. I stayed under the flyover, because I knew that begging won’t help my hunger. I lay on the concrete, trying not to make myself starve from walking around. I fell asleep, because it was so cozy and comfortable inside the blanket.
    I found some chocolates wrapped in pretty, colorful wrappers when I woke up. My little brothers came running to me and said, “These are for you. You didn’t have any lunch, my sis! I don’t want you to starve.” They smiled and ran away crazily.
    I carefully unwrapped one of the chocolates and gratefully tossed it into my mouth. It was the best thing I’ve ever had in my life. I put the rest of the chocolates in my pocket and came up with an awesome analogy. “My two little brothers are sweet and cute, just like chocolates in fancy wrappers.”

3. Yujin Shin says:

In the morning I couldn’t eat any of the food. I think I didn’t eat food yesterday. I can’t remember when I did eat rice. These days I just drink a cup of water. Prices of water are increasing so recently it’s hard to drink water also. There are many other people who look the same as me. In the old days I didn’t live like this and maybe other people didn’t live like this. We are living like this because of the war. War changed our lives. One year ago in our country there was a war and we lost our house. My parents didn’t take care of me and left me. I made friends with people whose lives were the same as me. I’ m looking for something to eat. Many people are friendly who are in the same situation as me. People commonly said that who has same situation they could share their mind to each other. I need help and we need help. We will not give up hope that someone will help us.

4. yojang says:

Running away
    I used to live in a small village, which is far from Delhi, with my older sister. We had to leave there with my mother when father has passed away. However, after 3 weeks when we finally arrived at the town my mother got an unknown disease. She had been sick really badly, coughing and crying and actually it was the first time I saw her tears. Unfortunately she told me to follow the people had been going with us without her. We left her in the cold street and thought she would be fine.
    Now, we are on the same street every day, begging and eating the dirty, tasteless food. Our body is really dusty and dark. Some of our body parts are already injured, such as my arm and knees. Our house or camp is near the road, where we usually beg. It’s really challenging for us to sleep well at night. We are always disturbed by the annoying noises from the road. Sometimes, we are beaten by some men for not giving them money. Hungry and exhausted, that’s how we feel all the day. We shouldn’t have left our old village. Losing our parents and hopes, but it’s too late to escape from this place and I don’t even try.

5. Merle says:

Another day on the streets in Delhi
    As always, in the morning I was freezing. I had nothing warm to wear, not even socks. All I had was a t-shirt and a long skirt. I was very hungry, besides that I haven’t taken a shower for three weeks since the water pomp was broken. This also meant that I couldn’t brush my teeth. For me, it was normal to share a tooth brush with my whole family. Besides that, I had to beg for food every day. But I first of all wanted to heat myself in front of the fire we were making every morning. Today, I had many tasks to do, including getting fire wood for today evening. We were lucky today, since we are only allowed to make a fire every two days, today was one of them. I was so hungry, that I was thinking of killing myself. We were begging tourists but not even a single one of them wanted to give us food or money. Every minute of my life, was a step to move forward to starve to death. I could feel the pain in my stomach. It was already thick, not because I had a lot to eat, but because I had gotten worms from the dirty water in my home country. I wasn’t allowed to see the home nurse, my dad said that it is a waste of time and money. He wanted me to beg and get the money for our family. Together with my sister, I hoped on every car window that stopped. Usually, when we got a little bit of money, my dad bought himself something to eat. He didn’t give anything to my mom, my sister or me. He ate it all for himself. If we said anything bad to him, he would punish us, and we weren’t even allowed to sit in front of the family fire. Every minute of my life, I could smell the rice our neighbors were eating every day for lunch. I hoped that they would give something to our family, but this big dream never came true.

6. yefraim says:

January 11, 2012
    Dear Diary,
    I woke up, and it was cold. The trees were covered in water and the air smelled like the rain. The blue sky I remembered was covered in heavy fog and clouds. The floor was wet and was covered with leaves. There were cars on the road, people were going to work. There was traffic and lots of cars were beeping. I covered myself in my rags, and went outside. There I saw mom sitting at the second stair eating a small bowl of rice she cooked this morning. I asked her for breakfast, and she gave me the same bowl of sticky rice. After I ate I went to see my little sister to see if she was awake, but she was still sleeping. Mom was calling me downstairs to see my friends. After I greeted each one of them, we went out to play. We walked through the streets until we got to the right one. We played on the floor, and my friend brought marbles. We played with them and other people from the other streets came and joined us. After of a couple of hours playing, I came back home for lunch. Mom has prepared fresh Daal and rice, and some Chapatti. After lunch, I went outside and breathed the fresh, cold air. I saw people walking down the street, more like foreign people, not from India. The people had different skin color. They had rich clothes, and wore makeup. I stopped starring at the people and walked back to my home. I saw mamma there sitting near the stairs chatting with other women. As she saw me, the women left and she sat all by herself eating a dry chapatti. After she ate she walked to the kitchen, grabbing a dry bucket and a wet cloth from the kitchen. She cleaned the kitchen, and organized everything and put them in place. I sat on the edge of the stairs and watched her clean the house. It was so cold that I couldn’t move…This is going to be a long winter.

7. kk says:

My brothers and I

The burning sun of Delhi hit us as we walked to the station. Our stomach roared like a lion as we ask the people why they don’t see us. We didn’t always live in this hard life. We were living in a small house that we could sleep in and eat every night without going to find food. A house, where we could have a safe place to live in, until it caught on fire and burnt everything except a tiny piece of a picture that showed me and my brothers. Afterwards, we could not buy a new house and now we live on the burning pavement with one blanket that we stole from the trains. Still the money lender comes after us for the money that my father left when he threw himself into the fire. My mother was the one who saw her husband burn to death. Still she did not how her husband died. Her eyes were like a moon that had no light. My brothers and I always looked after her while stealing things from the trains. We tried to make her better so we bought some flowers but they died by the burning sun. I always went into the trains and went finding things for the family and for my mother. Whatever I could find, my mother would say in her weakened voice “Thank you child but I don’t need it; give it to your brothers.” She doesn’t move, eat or sleep. The only time she will move is when she goes up to the house we lived in

8. yatsuho says:

Money
    Life on the Indian street is worse than you think. I’m one of the boys who live on a street in India. I have father, mother, and a big brother. My life is terrible. My little brother died few weeks ago. He didn’t have enough foods and water to live. I go to bet with hungriness and my family too. We are living on a street. It’s cold in winter and hot in summer. Around house smells so bad. Street I front of our house is filled with cars and cows. I and my brother are not going to a school. We don’t have that much money and we have to work to live. My father lost a job, so we have to work instead of him while he is looking for a job. But there are lots of people who needs job. My brother luckily found the job and he is working hard every day, but there is no one who is going to employ 13 years old boy. I had to go to street and ask people for money and foods. There are people who are like me. Big street is filled with that kind of children. Most of people I asked were unkind. I can’t get enough things to eat. I don’t know what I should do to get moneys to live. And I didn’t want to ask people for money. I wanted a work. One day, when I was on the street and asking people for food, I saw a people in a gorgeous car. The car was surrounded by people like me. The car stop at the signal, the window of the car opened and a man in the car passed a little money to everyone. I wanted to go get it but I couldn’t. I knew that that little money is not going to change my life. I realized that most important thing I have to do is to find the job, not looking for someone giving me money. I remembered that the money I got every time was finished next day. I saw the car with lots of people around it. The man giving money to people didn’t know that the money he is giving doesn’t help people. And next moment, a car came and hit all the people around the car. I couldn’t understand what happened. Children were lying down on the street and didn’t move. I left there with fear. And when I got calmed, I truly knew that the people who are giving money to us really don’t help us.

9. Momo says:

Women’s suffering

Dear diary,
    As usual, my husband goes to work in a little smelly food store and I stay in our crowdy, small home with my kids. Today I had to get water from the dirty lake and wash everybody’s clothes. I have to walk with my old and wrinkled feet 15 kilometers to reach the lake. I walk all the way to the lake without any shoes and I stepped on a rock. When I came back home sweaty and tired, I had to make lunch for the children. I was feeling like if working was less tiring than doing home things. The kids went outside to play cricket with their friends, but I stayed home knitting clothes for them. After some long hours that felt like years, my husband finally came home. The first thing he said to me was: “gimme something to eat, FAST!” and so I did. While He was sleeping soundly, I made dinner to the whole family. I always made rice and curry or roti with dahl because those were the only things we could afford. After we had eaten dinner, my husband went out with his friends. At the end of the day I realized that I was the slave and my husband was my boss.

10. Momo says:

Womens suffering

dear diary,
    As usual, my husband goes to work in his little smelly food store and I stay in our crowdy, small home with my kids. Today I had to get water from the lake and wash everybody’s clothes. I have to walk with my old and wrinkled feet 15 kilometers to reach the brown lake smelling of droppings. I walk all the way to the lake without any shoes and I stepped on a sharp rock. When I came back home ,sweaty and tired, I had to make lunch for the children. I was feeling like if working was less tiring than doing home things. The kids went outside to play cricket with their friends and have fun while I stayed home knitting clothes for them. I had to take care of everything, make clothes, wash the dishes, make food and clean up. After some long hours that felt like years, my husband finally came home. The first thing he said to me was: “gimme something to eat, FAST!” and so I did. While He was sleeping soundly, I made dinner to the whole family. I always made rice and curry or roti with dahl because those were the only things we could afford. After we had eaten dinner, my husband went out with his friends. At the end of the day I realized that I was the slave and my husband was my boss.