Homework Support Wednesday

Remember Jacques Cousteau (and to read broadly and deeply)

Due Friday

1. Read five blog posts from The Literature Machine blog, We’ve already looked at Catherine and Adrian. You can look at those again, but make sure to include Saswat (Rocks), Emily (the Snarling), and Chloe (Seven Yellow Cats). Under the comments to this post quote the three most effective sections of language from EACH. That’s a total of fifteen. Come ready to discuss what worked about the ones you’ve chosen.

2. As a posting on your blog: Write two short passages, in which you create an image for us using words. Use the Literature Machine writings to inspire you.

14 Comments

1. vcsurgay says:

Chloe
    1. Seven giant yellow cats with teeth like alloy of sun and bronze and eyes like burning fruit and claws like shards of shattered clay.
    2. They are so close. So close. I run faster.
    3. The muscles in my thighs and calves flex and stretch, stretching and ripping and healing and aching, aching like fire.

Catherine
    1. I turned my head to see how far back he was, a good 2 meters.
    2. I looked away in disgust.
    3. I ran through someone’s garden, crushing flowers with each step.
    Adrian
    1. Come on you little gypsy rat, get out of here. That’s right!
    2. We are all human, my child. All human.‚Ä®
    3. Instinctively, her eyes glanced downwards. They saw a rat.

Lydia
    1. It was a dark and gloomy night, everyone was asleep apart from me, and I could hear the tigers in the jungle crying out for each other.
    2. He then passed it to me I looked down at the potion in my hand, it was a clear red liquid.
    3. As the sun rose I found myself still in the jungle and not in my comfortable bed back in the campsite.
    Joshua R.
    1. I picked up the vase and took a closer look at it.
    2. As I put my nose to the vase and tried to smell I couldn’t really identify a specific smell.
    3. Just as I was about to examine my surroundings I looked into face of a great white shark.

I hope this is what our Homework was…

• vcsurgay says:

They had really good Language..
      are these the Highschoolers from AES?
      Because Joshua and Lydia are names that I know!
      HIHI

• Viola says:

Saswat
      1. A warm sensation passed through my body as the yellow liquid that smelled of grass slipped through my throat.
      2. My world was reduced to colorless vibrations.
      3. The large ocean that produced the thumping vibrations I was first introduced to was right ahead of me, and my patronizing instincts told me to keep going.

Emily
      1. Stale, autumn air clung to my hair and clothes, almost choking me on the spot.
      2. My entire body twisted and my eyes locked into contact with two blood red eyes that lit up the darkness and shone maliciously.
      3. My heart hammered in my chest powerfully.

• Viola says:

Try to reach for air. Nervously sticking my head over the edge. Someone’s pulling my hair, felling a knot in my neck. That person had long black hair with a funny looking hat on it. And suddenly he stopped when the school director walked trough. “I will take him home,…sir!” He ran fast as if he wanted to help me.

2. Kos says:

1)” A warm sensation passed through my body as the yellow liquid that smelled of grass slipped through my throat.”

2) “My world was reduced to colorless vibrations.”

3)”he thick smell of salty sea and wet sand.”

4)”My darkish gray kind emerged.”

5)”With it a conch shell of magnanimous proportions.”
    —————————Saswat – Rocks———————————————-
    6)”Seven giant yellow cats with teeth like alloy of sun and bronze”.

7)”Eyes like burning fruit and claws like shards of shattered clay”.

8)”The top of a wind-ripped mountain of shifting sand.”

9)”They are like four lions and an ox and seven sprinting cheetahs.”

10)”The wings on my shoes pump frantically. ”

11)”The dry air knifes at my lungs.”

12)”I spring like fire across dry grassland and only come to a stop when I am but feet away from the top of the next dune.”
    ——————–Chloe—-Seven Yellow cats—————————————

13)”A sliver of moonlight fought its way through the canopy of leaves and highlighted a spot on the forest floor.”

14)”The ground, strewn with leaves and other pieces of debris thrown off the trees.”

15)”The cold pinched my cheeks, nose and fingers.”
    ————————–Emily————–The Snarling————————-

3. antoine says:

A)Saswat:
    1)A false sense of security crept over Perez…
    2)Dane figured it was the end of an even larger swamp that spread to his left for about a mile.
    3)His last vision was a dark hand, drowned in sweat, gleaming in the sun.

B)Emily:
    1)“Now would be a good time to get going…”I said to no one in particular, just hoping that the sound of my voice might fill up this empty air and stop this loneliness from creeping up on me.
    2)Bits of mud and decomposing leaf flew in my wake, and the snarling grew louder.
    3)Short, sharp gasps, struggling to make it out of my lungs.

C)Chloe
    1) Seven giant yellow cats with teeth like alloy of sun and bronze and eyes like burning fruit and claws like shards of shattered clay.
    2)Now, as I sprint full tilt from those cursed yellow cats, the boiling feeling in my calves is making me nervous.
    3)The weight of the Orb pulls at me from its little woven basket strapped to my thigh.

D)Seiichiro
    1)The time he realized, there was a shadow coming from the darkness of the forest. Step by step, it came near the rabbit, and when the evening sunshine revealed truth of the shadow, it gave a solid shape.
    2)Strong fangs, black spiky hair and the groaning sound that gave a chilled wind across the field.
    3) The rabbit didn’t have enough stamina or strength to run away from the fearful creature that stands in front of him.

E)Will
    1)I came to a forest my legs where running as fast as they could but at the same time trembling with fear my heart has never pounded so hard in my life it felt like my chest was going to explode, the trees and leaves and branches kept cutting my face with frozen leaves and branches.
    2) I felt much more relief inside of me I kept looking and not a single person was at sight I rested my head on the wall breathing then a sharp noise hitting the wall a knife went straight through the small gap edged my face by about five cm I screamed looked through the gap he was there running towards me.
    3)I walked away staring at the spot he fell always.His bag on the side of the ice and he must of drowned by now and sadly I was very more happy about someone dying in my life, so I turned and walked away back to the Forrest I turned around once more I saw a frozen very shaky killer climbing out holding something in his bag I ran as soon as I saw that glimpse of him then I felt something hit me on the back of the shoulder something ticking so loud I looked back all I could see was a timer stuck to my back then I realized what it was…

4. hvardi says:

A WAY HOME
    1a. “I gave it more gas.”
    b. “I opened my eyes, everything was spinning.”
    c. “Then a shadow that I recognized”
    d. “I felt something on my shoulder, panicked, put the hands on the bars and god knows what I did”
    e.” He was there, getting closer and angrier.”

THE BEAR
    2a. “The paws hit the ground with enormous strength.”
    b. “Dust was all around him.”
    c. “As it went for a strike the man threw himself to the ground.”
    d. “I lay on the ground without moving for about 15 minutes.”
    e. “At the moment I fell asleep I saw the huge paw of the bear.”

CHASING
    3a.” My heart pounds and breath roars on the quiet street”
    b. “Scratchy leaves everywhere, and shadows.”
    c. “The shadows are moving, is it her? I can‚Äôt look.”
    d. “The night is electric now, cold and tense.”
    e. “More than cold, the icy air pierces my lungs.”

FREGMENT STORY
    4a. ” Tall and white people walked out of the ship, toward me.”
    b. “All of them were wearing blue scarves around their neck.”
    c. “Full of sweat, my hand dropped the gun.”
    d. “The driver I see doesn‚Äôt have human appearance, but just white.”
    e. “‚ÄúSi‚Ķ.r, p.l.e.a.s.e. s.a.v.e. .m.e.‚ÄùI barely can talk because of my rapid breath.”

BERT AND ENRIE
    5a.”Bert looked back and saw Ernie standing in the doorway of his house, still waving goodbye as Bert made his journey home.”
    b. “He froze. Looked. Peered to both sides”
    c. “Bert grabbed his chest and tried to hold his heart with relief.”
    d. “Another movement across the street”
    e. “A bunny. It was a bunny that gave Bert such a scare.”

5. WJ says:

Saswat:
    1) A warm sensation passed through my body as the yellow liquid that smelled of grass slipped through my throat.
    2)My world was reduced to colorless vibrations.
    3)I slipped several times before I got through.

Chloe:
    1)Seven giant yellow cats with teeth like alloy of sun and bronze and eyes like

burning fruit and claws like shards of shattered clay.
    2)I run like the gritty Sahara wind, my feet spraying small fountains of sand behind me.
    3)I chance a look behind me, and quickly whip my head forward again, sucking in a deep breath of air.

Emily:
    1)The persistent sliver of moonlight disappeared behind a cloud, plunging the forest into darkness so black, you could hardly see a hand in front of your face.
    2)Finally, the welcoming feel of bark came into contact with my fingers and I breathed out a sigh of hallelujah.

6. Ha Young says:

Saswat (Rocks)
    -A warm sensation passed through my body as the yellow liquid that smelled of grass slipped through my throat.
    РMy slender six legs carried me over the vast stretch of mountainous rocks; they ricocheted the sun’s heat into my unarmed belly.
    – A pause, and then great gush of warm water flooded over me, bringing with it a conch shell of magnanimous proportions that crushed my hard shell.

Emily (the Snarling),
    -A whisper of air slunk through the trees, caressing my arms and face.
    -The cold pinched my cheeks, nose and fingers.
    -A sliver of moonlight fought its way through the canopy of leaves and highlighted a spot on the forest floor.

Chloe (Seven Yellow Cats).
    – Seven giant yellow cats with teeth like alloy of sun and bronze and eyes like burning fruit and claws like shards of shattered clay.
    – For even when you are the fastest boy in all the Nile Valley, and even when the gods have given you winged shoes, running in soft, duney sand always had you sinking one step back for every two steps forward.
    – They are like four lions and an ox and seven sprinting cheetahs from the South Kingdoms combined and loosely contained beneath a single, heavy golden skin. They are like gods themselves.

Sang won (Game)
    – Under the yellow moonlight, a man in a baseball cap reveals his blue veins on wrists from the shadow. His rough breath feels endless like a clock ticking away.
    – It licks its dry lips and glance over at its metal wrist watch.
    – The metal shines in the darkness like a star.
    Natalie (The chase)
    – She looked around her and felt as if the garden was like an inhabited island where she was stranded on it.
    – She saw a long pile of thick and luscious green bushes with pure red berries.
    – Nadine and Salim were both running with all their power just like two horses racing against each other.

7. dongkyu says:

Saswat’s Rocks
    1. My slender six legs carried me over the vast stretch of mountainous rocks; they ricocheted the sun’s heat into my unarmed belly.
    2. I paused a moment to admire the colossal amounts of crabs appearing from dark places all around me, though the sound of their marching created an increasingly irritating clatter in my brain.
    3. A pause, and then great gush of warm water flooded over me, bringing with it a conch shell of magnanimous proportions that crushed my hard shell.

Chloe’s Seven Yellow Cats
    2. I stumble at the top of a wind-ripped mountain of shifting sand, and although I find my balance before a quarter of a moment passes, I know that those hulking yellow cats are just that much closer to biting my heels off.
    3. Seven yellow cats with muscles all still and rocklike and ears twitching in unison gathered around a point in the powdery red sand where I must have dropped the orb.

Emily’s The Snarling
    1. The ground, strewn with leaves and other pieces of debris thrown off the trees, sunk beneath my combat boots.
    2. The hairs on the back of my neck stood to attention, with my breath sat in my throat, listening intently to the noises of this forest.
    3. My screaming limbs roared for stillness every time I tried to move them, and the pain emanating from my muscles left me crippled, leaning against the tree for support.

Peter’s Suspense Short Story “A sound”
    1. I was at the drive-in theater. Approximately at 11 p.m. the movie was intense, but there was something wrong. The other people weren’t moving. I was all alone apparently, until I heard a sound. A sound similar to the one teachers do with their piece of chalk on the chalkboard. I said to myself, “Am I imagining this?” “Is the sound real”?
    2. Suddenly a shadow appeared. The high-pitched noise was heard again. Terrified at the scene, I ran. I ran as fast as I could. I had no idea where I was going. All I wanted I was to make sure that I was running on the opposite direction from the shadow. Eventually, I ended up in a forest, made up mostly of pine trees and cypress trees.
    3. Finally, I went in the police station. Everyone seemed very calm. As well as in the drive-in theater, everybody remained motionless. In the next moment everyone stood up. They all had a hook.

Andreas’s mesmerizingly beautiful fireworks
    1. I squatted next to the bottle rocket and lit it on fire under the light of a full moon. Psshhhhhhh. I watched as it flew into the night sky. Bang. It burst into a thousand colors.
    2. I ran as fast as my little legs could carry me. “stop in the name of the law” I could hear the police man behind me.
    3. I flung open the lid of the dumpster feeling the rage pulsing through my veins. It caught to police man under his chin. He stumbled back, blood dripping from his chin. I ran. I ran until I couldn’t run anymore, and then I ran some more.

8. SooBin Lee says:

1. The effect was immediate, and the only thing I noticed at first was that the sound of the soft air conditioning had turned into a frequent thumping vibration to my left side.

1. The cold pinched my cheeks, nose and fingers.
    2. Breathe. Short, sharp gasps, struggling to make it out of my lungs. Snarling, becoming louder and LOUDER.
    3. Hot breath engulfed my senses, blood red light overwhelmed my sight and silence rang in my ears.

1. Seven yellow cats. Seven giant yellow cats with teeth like alloy of sun and bronze and eyes like burning fruit and claws like shards of shattered clay.
    2. They are like four lions and an ox and seven sprinting cheetahs from the South Kingdoms combined and loosely contained beneath a single, heavy golden skin. They are like gods themselves.
    3. Filled with new energy, I spring like fire across dry grassland and only come to a stop when I am but feet away from the top of the next dune before whirling to look back.

1. His rough breath feels endless like a clock ticking away.
    2. I find a scarp of paper: “We will finish this game tomorrow”
    3. Under the yellow moonlight, a man in a baseball cap reveals his blue veins on wrists from the shadow. His rough breath feels endless like a clock ticking away.

1. They were sour, like lemon candy, but she liked it when she could feel the berries tickling her taste buds.
    2. She was crawling for her life. She didn’t want to be caught. She wanted this journey to continue.
    3. As she got closer to the tree, her eyes started to sparkle from the golden leaves and she was just dreaming to touch that base.

9. Minji says:

Mesmerizingly Beautiful Fireworks
    1. My cousin took out his Irock speakers and started to play some nice chill minimal and I just lay back and let the music consume me.
    2. Sirens. I could hear them faintly in the distance. I jumped up.
    3. Cold, rigid and tired I started to walk home.
    Broken Rat
    1. She glanced up and realized with dread that she had led herself into a trap. There was a ravine to one side, the long, low shape of the police station on the other, and a tangle of brambles directly ahead.
    2. The creature came closer and closer until they were nose to nose.
    3. Its eyes were pools of black, holes in the very fabric of the universe. And she was being pulled into these holes.
    Seven Yellow Cats
    1. For even when you are the fastest boy in all the Nile Valley, and even when the gods have given you winged shoes, running in soft, duney sand always had you sinking one step back for every two steps forward.
    The Snarling
    1. My entire body twisted and my eyes locked into contact with two blood red eyes that lit up the darkness and shone maliciously.
    2. The ground, strewn with leaves and other pieces of debris thrown off the trees, sunk beneath my combat boots.
    Rocks
    2. My slender six legs carried me over the vast stretch of mountainous rocks; they ricocheted the sun’s heat into my unarmed belly.
    3. I paused a moment to admire the colossal amounts of crabs appearing from dark places all around me, though the sound of their marching created an increasingly irritating clatter in my brain.

10. ypercik says:

Seven yellow cats.
    -Seven giant yellow cats with teeth like alloy of sun and bronze and eyes like burning fruit and claws like shards of shattered clay.
    -They gave me winged shoes and put fire in my blood, and now I can run.
    -I had known that if I got the Orb, I would never have to sleep on the dusty streets of my city again.
    -The Orb thuds to the ground mid stride, and I imagine it sinking down into the sand as I leave it behind.
    -One looks up at me, turning his massive, heavy head in my direction and flaring his dark, wet-clay nostrils and blinking his boiling-river eyes.
    -With muscles that I cannot see beneath that heavy golden pelt but I’m sure must be made of liquid obsidian rock, and those muscles are coiling to leap and my eyes fly open and I skid backwards and he leaps and claws flash and and and.
    ——————————————-Chloe——————————————
    dog days
    -As I did so, I noticed how dramatically my sense of smell improved.
    -It was utterly disgusting. I walked back towards the counters of the kitchen, looking for any hanging piece of food to lunge at.
    -The smell intoxicated me, sending me into hallucination of slowly gnawing on the bone, or licking up the last few juices.
    -I pushed myself off the plush carpet and walked into the kitchen, and strolled over to my bowl.
    -As I did so, I noticed how dramatically my sense of smell improved.
    —————————————–Catherine——————————————-
    buzz buzz
    -I opened my eyes, there was something weird, it might have been because i had just woken up, so i rubbed my eyes for a while, but i could see only one way.
    -I cough my breath, i looked up and saw something with great speed approach me, everything went dark.
    -Some one help, i’ve been feeling like this ever since i drank that stupid thing, and i need some doctor, i need to fix this.
    -My plan was to get as close to my brothers ear, and then scream to see if he would hear.
    -It was like being in a room full of computer screens, or security cameras, each showing a different thing.
    —————————————–Ale————————————————